Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Animals in Cordoba...

More about the highlights of Cordoba to come but here some animal observations...

I've never liked the horses and carriages that ply their trade in many tourist areas (think Central Park, New York for example). My concern is for the horses who stand in harness for long periods and have to cope with sometimes unpredictable traffic. In Cordoba there are a number of horse and carriage teams waiting around La Mezquita (the mosque). In the heat (38C yesterday) the horses just stand there on the cobblestones. One I got close to had nasty harness chafing. It distresses me.


Animals are also used frequently in the begging process. This dog and owner were on the steps of a church. At least the dog was being fed.


In the Alcazar de Los Reyes Cristianos yesterday I heard this insistent yeowling. I came down the steps from a tower to be confronted by a painfully thin cat that was just crying in the way that a baby might. It was clearly very hungry. I called to it but it took off at speed up the tower stairs and I just caught this shot as it disappeared. As Marion said, lots of cats at the Alhambra in Granada. I suspect lots of feral cats on the brink of survival everywhere.



1 comment: