Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Barcelona #5

The little place where I've been eating is 2-3 minutes walk from the Convent down the narrow Carrer de la Ciutat. I found it simply by wandering the first evening. It is small, handy and feels good. Often there are families with small children. There is one cook and one waitress - who works harder than I have ever seen anyone work and with a cheerful efficiency. There is no air conditioning.

The first evening, needing something light, I had a Greek salad. The last two evenings I have had tapas. #1 potatoes with a spicy sauce, peppers and olives (way too much pour moi!); #2 stuffed (goats cheese) peppers and spicy sausage. And a COLD beer. The waitress greets me now which is nice. The food is very tasty - though I think tapas is better shared between two or more.

Speaking of food - breakfast in the Convent is set out meticulously. There have only ever been two of us at breakfast to date - the other a lass from the Dominican republic who is studying architecture in Germany and doing a 'placement' in Barcelona. (I can't get over the extent to which many of the young people I meet are citizens of the world, comfortable in multiple cultures and with multiple languages). Anyway, breakfast is cereal if you choose and a fresh baguette brought in every morning with which you can have ham, cheese, tomato or jam. It is very simple and sufficient. I had visions of filling up on a massive breakfast that would last me through the day but it is neither necessary nor appropriate in the simple and sufficient atmosphere of the Convent.

Where, I may add, I am having the BEST sleeps, despite the heat!!

Cafe from the road 


For you Niki :)

2 comments:

  1. Thankyou .. you have made my worms crave sustainance ;o)<

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I'm loving all the food. hehe

    ReplyDelete