Saturday, September 7, 2013

On the move: farewell Barcelona...

I was sad to leave Barcelona. It was a great introduction to Spain - although as someone said to me yesterday, Barcelona isn't Spain, it's Catalonia!! And I certainly did get the Catalan vibes.

I said goodbye to...


My regular
The lovely, super hard-working waitress 
My breakfast companion from El Salvador
Sister Nuria (centre) who watched over me - literally!

I bought the Sisters chocolate and a box of almond biscuits at Montserrat. 

Then it was an early departure to catch the Aerobus to the airport for the flight to Granada. I had a window seat for the first time and a superb view of the country around Granada. So much of the country was planted in what looked like fruit trees - olives maybe? Citrus maybe? Anyway the effect from the air was a bit like a pointillist painting! Tiny little airport at Granada, even although it is an approximately Christchurch-sized city. Bus into the town to find - no it wasn't a scam, my accommodation was completely closed down with plumbing problems. The lovely young man, who had little English, had rebooked me and took me in his car Hostal Jardines - one of the two hostals who had said they had no room for me. I suspect there was a language problem. Nobody at Hostal Jardines speaks any English and my Spanish is non-existent apart from 'hola'.


1 comment: