Thursday, September 12, 2013

Flamenco in Cordoba...

My second (and last) full day in Cordoba I visited the little Jewish museum, housed in a 14th C Jewish home - Casa Seferad. It was charming and very informative. A young man also told me, with much enthusiasm that there was to be a flamenco performance in the courtyard at the museum at 7.00pm. This was very attractive, because all the flamenco I had seen advertised began at 10.30pm and was accompanied by dinner and therefore very expensive. This was to be a small gathering, part of a cultural programme, in an intimate space, not a big tourist show – perfect.


There was a singer (female), guitarist (male) and dancer (female). They were superb. Although I know nothing about flamenco I think it’s possible to recognise a good performance in any art form. I didn’t understand the stories that were being performed but at one stage the dancer brought me to tears. They played, sang and danced with such passion and commitment – in a space that was not air-conditioned and therefore, for them, very hot indeed. Mum was very fond of, and interested in, flamenco so I felt I was seeing it for her too.

I was sitting next to a young woman from Chicago. She is studying the Muslim/Christian nexus in Spain and its influence, if any, on Spaniards today. I said I would like to read her work when she has finished.

Because everyone rushed forward to take photos of the flamenco performers at the end I couldn't get decent photos - have to make do with these...




1 comment: