Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Food...

I made my biggest food mistake this morning. I ordered black tea and pointed to something on the menu that I thought was fruit. There was a picture of mandarins alongside. I really fancied some fruit because, as I found in Granada, it's almost impossible to find fruit and vege outlets in the 'old quarters' (though not so in Barcelona where fruit stalls were plentiful). The waiter asked me something in Spanish, clearly wanting to know if I wanted something else and I indicated no. Anyway my tea arrived, followed shortly by... two lightly poached eggs!!  Fortunately the waiter brought a piece of bread roll, whether out of pity or because that was usual practice I don't know. 

In contrast last night's dinner was spot on. I found a little place north-west of la Mezquita and ordered just a tapas dish and a beer. This is about the very minimum you can purchase. Despite my frugality the waiter brought out olives, olive oil and bread - complimentary to accompany the beer. The Spanish olive oil was delicious. A couple nearby asked me a few questions and then invited me to sit with them. So I shared the rest of the evening, and my meal, with an Irish couple who live in South Africa. In the end I had a slice of Cordoba cake - and with it came, again complimentary - a small glass of sherry!! I forgot to take a photo :-/

1 comment: