Monday, September 2, 2013

Barcleona #1...

When I hear or read the name 'Barcelona' I think of Freddie Mercury and Monserrat Caballe belting out the song :-) But not even that prepared me for this city!

I farewelled Merel, Lauren, Nina and Lasse at 7.30am Monday morning, trotting off to the tram stop to catch tram to Holland Spoor then train to Leiden where I changed trains to get to Schiphol. Not so easy at a busy time of day with luggage and a crook right hand. I had to stand both train trips.

Vueling airline - well there is less room between the seats than on any airline I have flown with. Seriously. And everything was charged for - tea, coffee, snacks - so I went thirsty and hungry. But the bus from Barcelona Airport to the city was efficient and speedy. I got off at the Placa Catalunya - huge, packed with people - and followed instructions by catching a taxi to Carrer Bellafila 4, a convent in the heart of the Barri Gotic, the medieval area of Barcelona. It seems that the nuns have established a part of the convent for university students (who of course are on holiday at present) - Residencia Universiteria Maria, Rena de la Pau. I think the nuns reside a floor above! Anyway this is an amazing oasis in the middle of a city that never sleeps. My room is  light, basic but totally comfortable and quiet!!

This is the view from my bedroom window...



Very cheerful colour scheme!
And this is the street in which the convent is located...


3 comments:

  1. You are a courageous wee chickie aren't you .. ?! All those people and probably little english spoken. I think of Basil Faulty and Manuel as M was apparently from Barcelona! :))<

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watch for pick pockets!

    This is so exciting sharing your Spain adventure :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha - 'courageous wee chickie' - I like it :-D

    ReplyDelete