Monday, September 16, 2013

Underbelly...

In my limited time in Spain I saw evidence of significant wealth and a great deal of poverty. More of the poverty because I tended to be in the inner cities. I've spent time in a lot of big cities around the world, including in third world countries, but have never seen so many beggars, old and young. Or so many people eking out a precarious livelihood on the edge - not begging but perhaps not far off. Making some euros from selling a few souvenirs. In the major central city plazas in Madrid there was a living statue every few yards. I gave money wherever I could to buskers whose performance I enjoyed - and I indicated that I had enjoyed it. It must be demoralising to be playing to people rushing by, paying no attention. I didn't give money to beggars but I'm not proud of myself for that either.

I don't know whether this is entirely a consequence of the economic crisis of the past several years. Or whether, as in so many countries, there is always a bunch of people who fall through the cracks. But in countries where there is also conspicuous wealth, actually in any countries, it shouldn't be like this. And we've got nothing to boast about in New Zealand!! 

I'm sounding off here because the hopelessness distresses me. I saw one woman begging with a baby no more than a few days old. Maybe it's a scam. Maybe she acquires a new, younger baby every so often. Whatever. It's happening. 

Outside a church in central Madrid

1 comment:

  1. Thats a big topic Jane ! For some odd reason .. "beggars can't be choosers" came into mind .. and would not go.

    ReplyDelete